Here’s some breaking news – not all fats are bad! Well, you probably knew that already, but still – check out my list of 5 fatty foods that are beneficial for your health!
1. Whole Eggs – Whole eggs are scoring top on the protein bioavailability index, making the best source of quality protein after whey. Most people make the critical mistakes of eliminating egg yolks and using the egg whites only, but this is wrong! Egg yokes balances the amino acid profile of the egg whites and thus creates the perfect blend of amino acids for optimal muscle growth. What’s more, egg yolks are very rich in B-vitamins, especially vitamin B12. They also contain goo amounts of zinc, calcium and phosphorous and other minerals and are arguably the best source of fat-soluble vitamins A, D and K. I strongly suggest you consume egg yolks and not to throw all of them away. For every two egg whites eat one yolk.
2. Cocoa (Dark Chocolate containing at least 80% cacao content or higher) – Chocolates that have very high content of cacao posses numerous health inducing benefits, one of which is the ability to speed up fat burning. In addition, dark chocolate is also very rich in healthy antioxidants, including a powerful compound called theobromine, which has been shown to help lower blood pressure and have other health benefits. The fat content in a good dark chocolate should come solely from the natural healthy fats occurring in cocoa butter and not from any other added fats. Always search for 80-90 percent cocoa rich chocolates, as they can truly improve your health and ability to lose fat.
3. Olive and Coconut Oil – Coconut milk and oil are great sources of a super healthy type of saturated fat called medium chain triglycerides(MCTs), including a component called lauric acid, which is a powerful nutrient for your immune system, and is lacking in most western diets. In addition, MCTs are readily used for energy by the body and less likely to be stored as body fat compared to other types of fats. Olive oil is a superb source of oleic acid and has numerous health benefits. It is one of the healthiest foods you can consume on a daily basis.
4. Avocados– Avocadoes are one of the healthiest foods because of their unique health inducing qualities. They have amazing anti-inflammatory effects and are extremely rich in carotenoids. Optimal absorption of these fat-soluble phytonutrients requires just the right amount and combination of dietary fats—and that is exactly the combination that is provided by avocado. Blood sugar regulation, cancer prevention, detoxification, lowering inflammation and cardiovascular health – these are just some of the more pronounced effects of a regular consumption of this fatty fruit.
5. Raw walnuts and almonds – Most nuts contain between 75-90% fat in terms of a ratio of fat calories to total calories, this is another type of food that is all healthy fats, along with high levels of micronutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Nuts are also a good source of fiber and protein, which of course, you know helps to control blood sugar and can aid in fat loss. Nuts also help to maintain good levels of fat burning hormonesin your body (adequate healthy fat intake is vitally important to hormone balance) as well as helping to control appetite and cravings so that you essentially eat less calories overall, even though you’re consuming a high-fat food.
To get a Personal Nutrition Plan based on your needs & goals, click HERE!